22.1.12

Calculating Pant Profit with Tableau Parameters and Calculated Fields

 In the past couple of months I have been making so many reports in Tableau that I think I'm finally getting a handle on parameters, calculated fields, and the Index() formula.  I was thinking that with these functions I could probably make a viz with absolutely NO data, but I have no time to play at work.  Then a real world problem came up.




My daughter-in-law is a local designer and she was telling me that her fall pants were selling like hot cakes and she should probably make more for spring, but needed to figure out the up front costs, etc.  Just so you know, almost all suppliers have been demanding full payment up front since 2008 - that's why you now see high end designers products in Walmart (they need cash flow).

So I created a Pant Profit Calculator for her.  There actually is weekly (date) data in the file, but I do believe it could be set up with parameters to enter the week begin date without the need of data.  I just ran out of time.  Feel free to fix it and post it on your own site.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not going to include my how-to steps, because they all came from other bloggers and forum posters.  What a wonderfully generous group of analyst Tableau users are.

Here's where I got most of my help:

Index()  Tableau Forums (James Baker and Joe Mako) Lollipop Charts Data Studio (Andy Cotgreave)
Parameters and Calculations Tableau ParametersDataChampions (Part1)DataChampions (Part2)DataRemixed Formatting/style Datarevelations (Steve Wexler)